HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT
• OUTA notified the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) on the lack of monitoring and compliance by the Department of Water and Sanitation which is the custodian of Water.
• OUTA sought the SAHRC to investigate the complaint.
WHY IS OUTA CHALLENGING IT
To ensure legislative compliance in South Africa’s water sector.
WHAT IS OUTA DOING ABOUT IT/OUTA'S SOLUTION
• OUTA laid a complaint with the SAHRC and was referred to the Public Protector (PP).
• OUTA approached PP with complaint and awaiting response.
• 22 March 2017 – received response from the SAHRC indicating that complaint has been referred to the PP.
• 8 November 2017 – PP confirmed receipt of complaint from OUTA. The Gauteng Provincial Office of the PP indicated that the complaint has been referred to the PP National Office for handling.
• 22 February 2018 – OUTA followed up with complaint with the PP.
• 22 March 2018 – further follow-up by OUTA to the PP.
• 3 May 2018 - further follow-up by OUTA to the PP and response received. PP indicated that a response would be advanced to OUTA.
• 10 May 2018 - further follow-up by OUTA to the PP. No response pertaining to the merits of the complaint have been forthcoming.
• 23 November 2018 – OUTA sent final letter to PP, failure to respond will require OUTA to consider available legal avenues.